Monday, February 02, 2009

Ho Superato...

I had my first exam at Sant'Anselmo this morning and I passed, I'm pretty sure. A 6 out of 10 is passing but one needs an 8 average in order to eventually proceed to the doctoral level. I did just fine, grazie Dio! I was able to respond well enough in Italian but I did add English words a few times when I wasn't sure what to use exactly in Italian. For instance, we distinguish between a homily and a sermon. "Sermon" in Italian is "discorso" so I used some English to make sure the prof knew that I knew what I was talking about.

And so, being done with exams I begin a three week vacation. But that is not entirely true because these days just have to be spent studying Latin and Greek. As I've written before, studying Greek for the first time and it being taught in and translated into Italian is not bordering crazy but is crazy. So, I plan to spend some quality time with my Latin/English and Greek/English texts.

On a side note, last week for both Latin and Greek the class translated the early Church order document De Doctrina Apostolorum where it says "non occides filium in abortum nec natum succides". Nancy Pelosi and other Catholics seem to forget this 1st century teaching of the Church when trying to justify abortion.

2 comments:

Mary Liz said...

I'm glad you did well on your exam, Father. I've been praying for all of your studies. :-)

recw53 said...

We are proud of you....say, we are proud of you!!!!