Thursday, September 17, 2009

You Have Put On Christ, Alleluia, Alleluia!

Before my return to Rome I headed back to my hometown to baptize my cousin's first-born, Paul Christopher Wurtz. It was an honor to baptize and the trip was a convenient way to say goodbye to family before heading across the Atlantic.

I arrived into Little Rock airport Wednesday night and headed straight to my sister's house where we had a fun birthday party for my one year old nephew. It was obvious that his favorite gift was the ND t-shirt I gave him. Though, the cash his grandparents gave him might have knocked my gift out of the running for favorite.

I spent Thursday and Friday assisting in my home parish with Mass, including the grade school's annual Grandparent's Day. The church was packed and the pastor, Fr. Marconi, gave an excellent homily on the necessity of teachers in the lives of our young people. The rest of the day was spent reading and enjoying the pleasant summer air of Arkansas.

This home visit was a time to see family who had driven in for the baptism. My aunts and grandfather had supper with us Thursday night - a great pork roast and fried okra!! made by my mom. We stayed up till about 11 or 11:30 talking the night away and enjoying company that I rarely get to share these days. My dear grandfather gave me a late birthday gift - a box of top quality cigars. I told him that I'm not sure I can smoke the cigar with a Playboy logo! The box was a great gift.

Paul Craig and April announced they were expecting during the Year of St. Paul and then had their son baptized in St. Paul's Church. Their son certainly has a strong patron saint, and parents of great faith!

The occasion was given special weight by the presence of my grandfather who was able to witness the baptism of yet another great grandson. This photo shows four generations of Wurtz men: Camillus, Sidney, Paul Craig, and Paul Christopher.

No comments: