Tuesday, July 21, 2009

A New Favorite...

After class this morning I walked across the quad to the newly dedicated Eck School of Law - a beautifully designed building, quite worthy of its location on the main circle. I entered the main door and was pleased to see the seal of the Congregation of Holy Cross in the marble flooring. I primarily wanted to see the chapel and I now have a new favorite chapel on campus.

The St. Thomas More Chapel is located on the ground floor just off the main archway and is certainly a worthy space for Mass and private prayer. Behind the altar are three large and beautiful windows that gives the 75-seat chapel a much larger appearance.

The main window in the center and behind the altar and tabernacle depicts the Blessed Sacrament evident in a monstrance.The right window is dedicated to Our Lady, patroness of the university.The left window depicts St. Thomas More, patron of lawyers and the law school.
The chapel's back wall has three windows as well, featuring Sts. Augustine and Thomas Aquinas and the seal of the Congregation.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for showing these artistic details, Michael. I am, as ever, a big believer in the power of art to educate in the faith. I do wish, however, that there was a little more specific or individual "flavour" or edge" to the images of More and Augustine in particular. When I read them, the drama of their lives and their faith looks a little more "Matrix" to me and a little less "Davy and Goliath." I don't want the law students to associate the intersection of the Law and the Church with a saccharine spirituality.

Fr. Michael Wurtz, CSC said...

Novak, thanks for your comment. I appreciate also some "edge" - particularly the possibility of More's instrument of martyrdom - the guillotine. Alas, at this point I'm just thrilled the windows are not stick figures as some chapels have in their windows!!